August 29, 2011

Panmure Golf Club (Carnoustie, Scotland)












I hadn't heard much of Panmure, outside of the fact that my old boss thought it was the best course in Scotland. I always rolled my eyes at his glowing recollection of Panmure as I had essentially never heard of it. Well, shame on me.

Panmure was founded in 1845, a classic old golf course. It has a wonderful blend of links, parkland and heathland holes similar to its neighbour up the road - Carnoustie. It also has a fantastic variety of short holes oozing with strategy and long holes demanding only your very best. I believe courses that challenge both the mental and physical are the most satisfying and this is very apparent at Panmure.

(below: blind tee shot on the short 8th - over a wall of gorse)












It is no wonder Hogan used Panmure as his practice area for the 1953 Open. It's 5 minutes down the road and enjoys the same type of feel of Carnoustie, just on a slightly smaller scale (it's not nearly as long.) The 6th hole, one of the best, is aptly dubbed "Hogan" as my caddy John informed me that Hogan believed that the hole would be improved by the addition of a greenside right pot bunker. (They put it in soon after he recommended it.)

Panmure is a must play if you are ever in the area. If you are planning to play Carnoustie, make sure to add Panmure and make it a 36 hole day. Panmure deserves many more accolades than it receives. As much as it pains me to say it, my old boss was right. Shite.

Also, if you ever make it to Panmure and wish to take a caddy, ask for John Gilbert. Best caddy on the planet.

Hit 'em well,
MG

No comments:

Post a Comment